Friday, December 4, 2020

Post Ten: What I Learned From Others' EOTO - Disinformation

For my second EOTO, I discussed in class my topics of Confirmation Bias and Echo Chambers, and how these are slippery slopes to some pretty drastic consequences for societies. Learning about another group's topic of disinformation, I couldn't help but find a bit of a parallel between disinformation (which is intentionally false) and confirmation bias (which is sometimes a subconscious fallacy).

I'm not saying these are the same because they certainly are not, but they're both running rampant in society today. So what is disinformation?



Disinformation is false information that is spread to intentionally deceive. This is plaguing society today, as I firmly believe we are inundated with an abundance of false information. If you look at politics, disinformation is unreal. And regarding Covid-19, it's prevalent.

Disinformation is meant to purposely sway public opinion and attempt to cover up the truth. The line between true and false information is becoming quite ambiguous in modern society, as media networks try to create echo chambers within their organization's bias. 



I live in Nashville and our mayor has received national attention for supposedly lying about Coronavirus cases within the city to prevent restaurants and bars from opening. The mayor's deception was used to keep businesses go bankrupt and scare the public from going out in public. Now, more liberal sites are saying this narrative was made up by conservative media (which is leading into confirmation bias/echo chamber thinking). Our governor and mayor are on two different wavelengths of thinking when it comes to addressing coronavirus, and Nashville is the only city in TN that is still facing immense regulation and closures. Anyways, I digress. 



However, I have to look on the Mayor Lying Scandal with a bit of peace, as at least the issue was brought into light for citizens to be made aware of. I'm distressed thinking of things we hear and believe that are completely false every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment