Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Post Four: Antiwar Voices & Anti "Fake" News


This week we talked about life following the end of WWI. People were tired of the war and talking about it was triggering (kind of how I feel with coronavirus - ha!). Then we led into prohibition and just more divide and hardship. Life during and after this war, individuals were persecuted for any antiwar talk.

Skimming Antiwar.com and American Conservative, I found it quite interesting to read a dialogue so drastically different than that of mainstream media today. Most news today (even with each network's biases) portrays the world through certain lenses. Regardless of how news may "lean," there is still a certain level of political correctness prevalent throughout.

Donald Trump is notorious for his attack on "fake news." I'm not here to get political at all, but I think he makes a very important point that as Americans we should caution ourselves with. Everything we hear is filtered and filtrated to some degree. I think it is hard to come to your own conclusions when approaching current events because everything is told to us through a narrative of how the author wants us to comprehend the information. 

While we never seem to hear about these strong voices on mainstream news, I think it is wonderful that there is a place for them to exist. This doesn't mean that I agree with what is being said, I just find it important that all voices have the ability to be heard. It causes me distress sometimes by the lack of information I can find on certain topics because of media censorship - but this is off topic and I digress.

I think you have to seek out antiwar voices because the government needs the overwhelming support of citizens when it comes to things such as war. 


No comments:

Post a Comment